Grants are money awards you do not have to pay back. When you submit the FAFSA, awards are given to students based upon the calculated financial need:
Cal Grant (CA residents only):
Guaranteed financial aid of students meeting certain eligibility requirements.
Federal Pell Grants:
The largest source of free money from the federal government for students with financial need.
- Awarded to every undergraduate who qualifies and has not already earned a bachelor’s degree
- Provides up to $5,550* a year, depending on your financial need whether you are attending full or part time
- Can be used to pay for tuition, fees and living expenses at any qualifying college
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG):
Awarded to eligible undergraduates with exceptional financial need
- Provides between $100 and $4,000 a year, depending on your financial need and whether you are attending full or part time
- Priority consideration if you are eligible for a Pell Grant
- Not all colleges offer FSEOG
*2010-2011 maximum award